For their inaugural event, the event coordinators set some pretty ambitious goals, such as organizing 20 teams and raising a whopping $30,000.
However, despite being just a "baby," as the American Cancer Society likes to call first-timers, Foster City truly put itself on the map by reaching al of its goals, and even surpassing some.
As the event dawned, there were indeed 20 teams registered to participate, and the fundraising goal of $30,000 had already been reached.
The funds continued to come in through team fundraising activities at the event, and even after the closing ceremonies.
Impressively, Foster City's fundraising total ended up at over $48,000.
"The weekend was an amazing show of community involvement and support," representatives from the Foster City Chamber of Commerce said in a press release after the event.
Saturday activities included exercise classes, live bands, a bounce house, henna tattoos, and a lot of educational materials about cancer and cancer prevention.
"This event would not have been possible without the support of many companies and individuals," Chamber representatives said as they recognized many of the event's biggest supporters:
- Event Chair and Vice Mayor, Pam Frisella - Emcee for the event and on-site support
- All of the Organizing Committee Members - For hours of pre-event meetings and planning
- The Manor Association - Survivorship Chair and event coordination
- Bayshore Ambulance - On-site 24-hour first aid and support
- Life Technologies - Financial sponsorship and speaker David Daly at the closing ceremony
- The Foster City Lions Club - Providing dinner for the participants
- Z Ultimate Self-Defense Studios - In-kind donations of raffle prizes
- Foster City Fire Fighters Association - Financial sponsorship
- Peninsula Jewish Community Center - Luminaria Chair
- CAI Bay Area & Central CA Chapter - In-kind support
- Foster City Parks & Recreation - Assistance with event coordination
- Starbucks - Volunteer team assisted with serving dinner and setting up the Luminaria bags/event
- Foods Co. - Donation of fruit, water and granola bars for the participants
- Playhouse Project /Habitat for Humanity - Donation of children's playhouse for raffle prize
- Hear The Call Music - Otis Coen - Providing sound equipment, DJ'ing and support
- Local Boy Scout Troup #47 - Event set-up and tear-down
- Noah's Bagels - Donation of bagels for participants on Saturday morning
- Foster City Flower & Gifts - Donation of long-stemmed red rose for Survivor participants
- Loral Landscaping - Pre-event logistics
Plans are already underway for the 2013 Foster City Relay for Life. All are welcome and encouraged to get involved and participate. Contact Marah Curry at (650) 573-7600 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
For the latest in Foster City volunteer and event news such as this, follow us! And don't forget to sign up for our daily e-newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox each morning.