The 2012/2013 Winter Spare the Air season begins Thursday, Nov. 1 and runs through Feb. 28, 2013.
Each day by 2 p.m., the Air District will issue an air quality forecast for the next day. If air quality is forecast to be unhealthy, a Winter Spare the Air Alert will be called. The alert will be in effect the entire next day, for a full 24 hours.
When a Winter Spare the Air Alert is in effect, it is illegal to burn wood, manufactured fire logs, pellets, or any other solid fuels in your fireplace, woodstove, or outdoor fire pit.
During the winter season, wood smoke is the largest source of harmful particulate pollution, or soot. These microscopic particles are so small that several thousand could fit on the period at the end of this sentence.
Here are answers to some Frequently Asked Questions about the Winter Spare the Air program.
You can also file a wood smoke complaint online.
Get the latest news from San Mateo:
- Sign up for the San Mateo Patch daily newsletter
- Blog for San Mateo Patch
- "Like" San Mateo Patch on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @SanMateoPatch
Get the latest news from Foster City:
- Sign up for the Foster City Patch daily newsletter
- Blog for Foster City Patch
- "Like" Foster City Patch on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @FosterCityPatch