.

William Ayres' Bail Hearing Set for Wednesday

William Ayres returned to San Mateo County last week after nine months under observation at Napa State Hospital.

A judge will decide Wednesday whether to grant bail to an 80-year-old San Mateo psychiatrist who is accused of molesting boys during examinations in the 1990s.

William Ayres returned to San Mateo County last week after nine months under observation at Napa State Hospital, where a doctor concluded that Ayres -- the former president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychology -- had been exaggerating mental illness and was competent to stand trial on molestation charges.

The contents of the doctor's report remain under court-ordered seal, but District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said the report indicates that Ayres had been faking signs of dementia "since the beginning," and that doctors and nurses at the state hospital were able to detect signs of Ayres' deception and eventually conclude that he was sane.

"They're experts," Wagstaffe said. "That's what they do for a living."

A competency hearing has been set for Oct. 2, when a judge will determine whether Ayres is able to stand trial on nine counts of performing lewd acts on seven boys during counseling sessions that took place between 1991 and 1996.

Superior Court Judge John Grandsaert will decide whether to grant bail while Ayres awaits the competency hearing in October, or whether Ayres should remain in San Mateo County Jail in the interim.

Prosecutors allege that Ayres used his psychiatric knowledge to deceive court-appointed doctors in advance of a competency trial in June 2011, which ended in a mistrial when jurors were unable to agree that the apparent signs of Ayres' dementia rendered him unfit to face criminal proceedings.

A criminal trial in 2009 also ended with a hung jury, and the district attorney's office decided within months to retry the case.

Wednesday's bail hearing is scheduled to start at 11 a.m. in San Mateo County Superior Court in Redwood City.

-- Bay City News

Bren August 07, 2012 at 08:23 AM
I wonder how long it will take before the shills for the Ayres family and the blowhard contrarians start posting comments here defending Ayres and attacking his victims? They seem to be doing a lot of that on Patch lately.
Alison August 07, 2012 at 08:49 AM
Um did the reporter on this story do any homework? Whoever wrote this should have mentioned- as the San Francisco Examiner did- that the DA's office had PLENTY of evidence that Ayres was competent in surveillance done on Ayres by a private investigator hired by the families in August, 2011. They hired the PI because San Mateo County ignored tips from a medical colleague that Ayres had been seen all over San Francisco in the summer of 2011, hanging out in restaurants, behaving normally and talking knowledgeably on all sorts of topics. He was reported being seen driving a car The team of three private investigators who tailed Ayres to a restaurant and listened to him talk for hours, reported that he was competent. But the prosecutor refused to look at the video and Wagstaffe said he wouldn't retry Ayres because he didn't want to justify the cost. This story doesn't report that the Mercury News reported that even the custodial staff could see Ayres was competent. Ayres' medical colleagues reported last year that he was competent. The private investigators reported he was competent. But the prosecutor REFUSED to believe he was competent and was adamant that he was not faking it and that he would never be competent to stand trial. Why the stonewalling? Read the real behind the scenes story about the DA bizarre actions last summer on the Ayres case: http://www.williamayreswatch.blogspot.com/2012/08/one-year-ago-da-steve-wagstaffe-to.html
Alison August 07, 2012 at 09:06 AM
The Ayres blog has an email by a mother of an Ayres victim, describing Wagstaffe's ludicrous excuses for not retrying Ayres last year . From: xxxxxxx Subject: Re: Media Contact Date: August 20, 2011 6:06:12 PM EDT To: xxxxx I called Wagstaffe today and got a return call about 10 muinutes later. He talks faster than a machine gun, and I will try to relate here everything of importance. He said that he looked at the videos and read the transcript, and that the overwhelming, dramatic evidence we needed was a video tape of Ayres driving a car. He would have gone back and retried him for that. He also mentioned seeing him without a walker would have helped. He was very disturbed about McKowan telling people that Ayres would never go to Napa. He said he never knew that, and if that's the case it's a serious violation. He said that sadly, justice had not been served in the initial trial and mentioned that if the 11-1 count had been overturned, Ayres would have gone to prison for the rest of his life. He also said that delays weakened the trial, and Melissa was very frustrated after the trial. We talked about re-trial, and he said because of the 8-4 verdict on the competency trial, he could not justify a repeat since he has an obligation to the taxpayers against spending more money on a subsequent trial that can't be won. Here is the official plan for Monday: The DA's office will argue for committment to Napa State Hospital, and only Napa.
Alison August 07, 2012 at 09:30 AM
Here's a post on the Ayres blog from August 20 2011, about the evidence that showed Ayres was competent and asking that parents contact Wagstaffe to ask him to retry Ayres. He blew them all off. http://www.williamayreswatch.blogspot.com/2011/08/urgent-investigative-surveillance.html URGENT: Investigative Surveillance Results We have obtained convincing evidence that ayres is indeed lucid, displaying functional memory of distant and recent past events, as well as the cognitive ability to understand future events. In the Press: There is now a comprehensive news story about the surveillance efforts undertaken by professional private investigators for families and friends of the victims of the child molestation perpetrated by william hamiton ayres. This evidence has been provided to the San Mateo County District Attorney, the prosecutor, and other agencies. We urge victims and their families and supporters to contact the DA, THIS WEEKEND and ask them to review the information prior to proceedings THIS MONDAY August 22, 2011. We have been informed that they intend to concede incompetence on Monday, and this would be a travesty of justice.
Alison August 07, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Here's a front page story in the San Francisco Examiner in September 2011 stating that the parents of victims - who had proof last year that Ayres was competent- were OUTRAGED by the DA's decision not to retry Ayres. http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law-and-disorder/2011/09/william-ayres-granted-30-days-freedom-reporting-napa-state-hospital Excerpts: For outraged families seeking justice against William Ayres, it was hard enough to learn the prominent San Mateo child psychiatrist accused of molesting patients would be sentenced to a state mental hospital rather than prison... If Ayres is ever restored to competency, which prosecutors say is unlikely, he will be retried on the molestation charges, Wagstaffe said... But as the legal proceedings against him dragged on for four years and two trials, his mental health declined, prosecutors said. Last month, a judge ruled him incompetent to stand trial after court-appointed doctors declared he suffers from dementia... That ruling outraged victims and their families, who say they have proof that Ayres is competent.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »