The Foster City Police Department has provided Patch with a list of safety tips that every child and parent should be aware of this Halloween.
A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
Please remind all trick-or-treaters:
- By using a flashlight, they can see and be seen by others.
- Stay in a group, walk slowly and communicate where you are going.
- Only trick-or-treat in well-known neighborhoods at homes that have a porch light on.
- Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
- If no sidewalk is available, walk at the farthest edge of the roadway facing traffic.
- Never cut across yards or use alleys.
- Never enter a stranger's home or car for a treat.
- Obey all traffic and pedestrian regulations.
- Always walk. Never run across a street.
- Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks.
- Remove any mask or item that will limit eyesight before crossing a street, driveway or alley.
- Don't assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing trick-or-treaters. Just because one car stops, doesn't mean others will.
- Never consume unwrapped food items or open beverages that may be offered.
- No treats are to be eaten until they are thoroughly checked by an adult at home.
Notify law enforcement authorities of any suspicious or unlawful activity. Report any suspicious activity to Foster City Police at (650) 286-3300. In the event of an emergency, call 911.
Get the latest news from Foster City: