Peppered Shrimp Alfredo
By JZELLER AllRecipes
Resolutions can wait. With well over a week left before we actually get started our new workout routines and low calorie diets, there’s plenty of time to enjoy some comfort foods, and here’s one that will blow you away!
This traditional Italian staple gets a peppery kick in this unique recipe that’ll be worth the extra 15 minutes on the treadmill!
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter together with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and mushroom; cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the shrimp, and cook until firm and pink, then pour in Alfredo sauce, Romano cheese, and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir drained pasta into the sauce, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.